When buying a suit, there are several important factors to consider to ensure you get the right fit and style for your needs. Here are some key things to look for:
1. Fit: The most crucial aspect of a suit is its fit. A well-fitted suit can make all the difference in your appearance. Look for a suit that hugs your body comfortably without being too tight or too loose. Pay attention to the shoulders, chest, waist, and sleeves to ensure they fit well.
2. Fabric: The fabric of the suit affects its comfort and appearance. Wool is a popular choice for suits as it is breathable, drapes well, and suitable for various seasons. Higher-quality suits often use natural fibers, which can be more durable and provide a better overall look. Unless you're going to be wearing the suit in high-humidity weather, linen suits tend to wrinkle and while more breathable may look too wrinkled in pictures.
3. Jacket Style: Consider the style of the suit jacket. Options include single-breasted and double-breasted styles. Single-breasted jackets are more versatile and suitable for most occasions. Pay attention to lapel style (notch, peak, shawl) and the number of buttons (usually one, two, or three).
4. Pants: Check the fit of the trousers, making sure they are comfortable around the waist and hips. The hem should rest on the top of your shoes, creating a slight break (crease) or a clean, tailored look, depending on your preference. You want to find a balance between the tight fit and proper draping and comfort. Especially if you're buying the suit, you can always tailor the bottom of the pants to fit tighter but leave the seat and thighs more comfortable.
5. Jacket Length: The length of the suit jacket is crucial. It should cover your buttocks and end around the middle of your hand when your arms are hanging by your sides. A jacket that is too long or too short can throw off the suit's overall appearance.
6. Suit Color: Choose a suit color that matches your style and the occasion. Classic navy, charcoal, and medium gray are versatile and suitable for various events. For formal occasions, black is a timeless choice.
7. Quality: Look for well-constructed suits with high-quality stitching and finishing. Check the lining and details like buttons, pockets, and zippers to assess the overall craftsmanship. If you're only planning on wearing it once, cheaper constructions suit may be suitable but higher quality suits will look better in photos and last longer.
8. Brand and Price: While brand reputation can be an indicator of quality, it's not the sole factor. Focus on the suit's fit and construction rather than just the brand name. Set a budget that allows you to get a suit of good quality without breaking the bank.
9. Alterations: Keep in mind that most suits will require some alterations to achieve the perfect fit. Choose a suit that fits you well in the shoulders and chest, as these are the hardest areas to alter.
Remember that buying a suit is an investment, and finding the right one might take some time. Don't hesitate to try on multiple suits and seek the help of a knowledgeable salesperson to guide you through the process. A well-fitted, stylish suit will not only make you look great but also boost your confidence for any formal occasion.
Celebrity Tux and Tails is a family-owned and operated formalwear company located in the Phoenix, Arizona. We specialize in suits and tuxedos for both men and women and offer a variety of options in rental, off-the-rack retail and custom made attire. In addition to our stores in Tempe, Gilbert, and Glendale, we offer full-service concierge across the state of Arizona. From free group fittings to delivery & pickup services, we are dedicated to making the formalwear process simple, affordable, and exceptional for our customers! Get the selection you want and the service you deserve!